Buongiorno a tutti !
We just come back from an enchanting 10 days trip to Roma, the Eternal City and I would like to share with you our wonderfull experience.
Rome can be an overwhelming city and I could write many lyrical pages about but I choose today the practical way to introduce the city with a top 3/4/5 list for hotels, restaurant, museums, places.
A kind of speed dating with bellissima Roma ;-)
First, I would like to reassure you : according to me the top Luxury way of visiting the city of 400 churches and 300 fountains, is to wander hours and hours with no goals, to stop in cafés on lovely piazza and enjoy Dolce vita. Don’t feel guilty if you don’ t visit ALL the monuments from Roman Times and ALL the churches listed in guides books , what is incredible in Rome is that even seen from outside during your walk everything is splendid, gorgeous and amazing : la Grande Bellezza everywhere !
By the way I do recommend to see the eponymous movie ( La Grande Bellezza by Paolo Sorrentino before your trip).
Lets’s start with hotels, here is my top 3 list :
1) Aldrovandi hotel Villa Borghese
If you ‘re travelling in hot season and are looking for a nice pool in a relaxing garden, the place is for you !
This 5 star Luxury retreat is just next to Borghese garden and the Museum of Modern Art, away from the hustle and bustle of roman center.
Ask for Pauline Charles, deputy manager if you need anything there, she’s very professional and charming and will do everything to make your stay memorable.
The buffet by the pool is exquisite, with the best italian seasonal products , all prepared by the team of 2 star Michelin guide chef at home Oliver Glowig. Instill remember the fabulous black truffled peccorino !!
I LOVED also the Spa, very relaxing and the fitness room is great.
My tip : if you don’t stay at the hotel you can nevertheless come and use the pool ( not in high season of course). Please call the hotel before for availability and fees.
2) Hotel de Russie
Sometimes people know just 1 hotel name in Rome and this is it !
Located just next to Santa Maria deĺ Popolo piazza and close to Piazza di Spagna, the Rocco Forte gem is still a great choice with excellent service and refined atmosphere. A perfect balance between tradition and modernity.
I love their garden with the outdoor restaurant, so refreshing to come on sunday for brunches. All the waiters are very friendly and very professional.
3) JK Place
If you like Design and contemporary art in a top Luxury and trendy atmosphere and want to stay in the center, don’t look further more and book here immediatly ! As you may know I’ m an art historian and collector and that ‘s the first time I was really impressed by the decor and amenities. I’m a fan ! more over the selection of art works is just perfect.
The service is so charming and very attentive !
I’m looking forward to discovering next year the roof top terrace.
Top 5 restaurants :
1) a gastronomic experience with 2 starred chef Oliver Glowig at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese.
The chef is german but great expert in italian products with a high Technical level ! a real work of art in your plate and a delight for your palate.
His reference is french chef Pierre Gagnaire and we can say he’s reaching the Master.
My tip : at the end of the meal, if you can’t take any more , don’t be shy to ask for a box for your macarons and chocolates ! I can tell you you’ll be happy the day after !
2) In institution : Pierluigi , especially for fishes.Great choice ! Actually you choose yourself the one you want , on display inside.Elena, the hostess is adorable and very efficient. You need to book as this is a must in Rome ! When we had dinner there, Alex Baldwin was also in the place. Many beautiful people from fashion, media business, mixed with local big wheels … In summer, having the diner outside is a lovely experience, the facade around are so theatrical !
3) Trendy and (very) young : Bar del Fico . Outside : Amazing cool crowd for a drink by night ! Inside : funky salvage decor , open kitchen, delicious pasta with truffles ! Parisian will understand : it’s a kind of Oberkampf style. Don’t mind their website with this impossible video of a woman running naked over the table …still try to understand myself !
4) Casual, unformal, kind of old school, but delicious : Corallo. The best scaloppine with truffles ! My friends love also the pizzas very much.
5) A fooding experience in Trastevere in the new Sotto-Sopra ( via di Ponte Sisto 67). Very friendly welcome and service. Original and italian in the same time, very tasty and creative. Nice contemporary design, not cold at all, food-manufacture style.
Bonus : it looks like a tourist trap but not at all ! Try absolutely the Tartufo at the Tre Scalini on Piazza Novanona , it’s a real chocolate bomb !! Just WAOW !
Top 3 museums :
I know there are many more worthy to visit, but if you had only time for 3 museums here is the ones I would recommend :
1) The Vatican Museum for its amazing and gorgeous collection of Antiques first, a great source of inspiration for Art since they were exhibited, second reason to be mixed with the huge touristy crowd : Michel Angelo’s sistine chapel ceiling ! No need to add more ! You absolutely need to book online to avoid endless queue. And better to visit St Peter later in the afternoon. More than a tour it’s an experience to be inside.
2) Borghese Gallery for the lovely, exquisite and splendid Berninis ! My favorite is Apollo and Daphne . For paintings : the Caravaggios of course are a must see ( the Boy with fruit basket – the Madonna of the groom…)
3) The Museum of Modern Art : located near the famous Borghese gardens, a rich collection of modern masters you wouldn’t expect to see in Rome. Actually the biggest collection in Italy of Modern Art, but it looks like few people know it only. A kind of best kept secret ;-) With gems like Kandinsky, Albers, Klimt, de Nittis, italian futurist, Manzoni, Fontana, Cruz-Diez…
….to be continued soon …with pics !